At Dastrup Dental in Davidson, we understand the importance of a winning smile. A beautiful smile boosts your confidence and helps you make a great impression. With many of us working from home and doing video chats, there is more emphasis on the face and smile. Teeth whitening to keep your smile bright amid the COVID-19 quarantine is simple and can be done from the comfort of your home.
Ways to Whiten Your Teeth at Home
For years, people have searched for quick, effective teeth whitening solutions. Some options are easy to find.
- Who knew that eating certain foods could also clean the teeth? Foods that are crunchy or tart make the mouth produce more saliva. This helps rinse the teeth while you are eating thus removing excess food particles that may cause stains.
- Commercial products such as whitening strips, kits, rinses, or toothpaste may help to lighten some surface stains. For a quick fix, teeth whitening is popular due to the ease and availability of treatments.
- For optimal results, professional teeth whitening with a dentist is recommended. This ensures your teeth are healthy from the start and that any potential issues with dental restorations are addressed. Also, the quality of professional treatments is higher for a more dramatic whitening effect.
Proper Oral Care Tips
We all know that proper brushing and flossing is important for general oral health. The CDC recommends a good oral health regimen to keep your teeth healthy and to maintain their bright appearance. It helps prevent decay by ridding the mouth of extra food particles and harmful bacteria and keeps the teeth whiter.
- Brush twice daily.
- Floss once each day.
- Rinse with mouthwash.
- Change your toothbrush or toothbrush head every 4-6 months.
- Schedule a professional dental cleaning every 6 months.
Ways to Prevent Stains
With age, the outer level of enamel begins to wear away. The underlying dentin is yellower so it is important to try to prevent teeth stains. Good oral care, along with the following tips, can help keep your smile bright.
- Food and drinks such as red wine, coffee, tea, and tomato products cause surface stains. If possible, avoid or minimize these products.
- If you do consume stain-causing products, try to rinse your teeth afterwards to keep the products from sitting on your teeth for too long.
- Do not use tobacco products. Not only is it bad for your health, but smoking is also bad for your teeth. Tobacco penetrates the enamel and is difficult to remove with brushing. It also causes bad breath and gum disease.
Teeth Whitening Trays at Dastrup Dental
Dr. Dastrup offers customized at-home whitening trays which allow patients to achieve safe, effective results. A high-quality whitening agent is applied to the trays to produce dramatic whitening. Since the trays are custom designed based on impressions of your teeth, there is no need to worry about slipping or spilling. You also have the added convenience of whitening on your own time and in your own space.
Dastrup Dental in Davidson offers teeth whitening options to keep your smile bright. Contact our dental office today for more information on general and cosmetic dentistry services.